FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency 2021: Positionality
Data: 22 September – 18 December 2021
Location: Online and on location in Amsterdam
Stipend: € 3000,- (excl VAT)
Deadline: Application is closed
Selection: 22 June
Language: English and Dutch
Are you a working professional in film and audiovisual media? Do you draw storyboards, or write scripts, compose film scores, develop games, play characters, or direct films, video clips or commercials? And have you participated in productions that have had a public screening or presentation? Then the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency is for you!
To apply for Vrijplaats you must have to live or work in The Netherlands, or you have to have a working relationship with The Netherlands.
What is the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency?
The FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency is a three-month residency in which you, as a working professional, are given free space to work and think to conduct research that does not fit within existing development processes.
At the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency you can deepen or broaden your knowledge, innovate the creative process and collaborate with professionals from other disciplines to gain new insights. See the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency as an open and creative space, a laboratory where all questions that contribute to the deepening and improvement of your creatorship and the film and AV sector can come into their own.
The FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency consists of joint weekly meetings and an individual process under the guidance of a mentor. The participants can also nominate speakers for the common sessions. Watching a movie together with Q&A or a masterclass from an expert? We try to fit it in.
A selection from last year’s studies:
· How do you make a film from the perspective of an AI (Artificial Intelligence) or imaginary friend?
· How can you prepare your film in such a way that only one take is enough?
· Are there ways to write a film application that does more justice to the cultural heritage of the maker?
· How do you bring film and theater together live?
In addition to conducting your own research, the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency participants will also work on a common theme. The second edition of the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency is all about “Positionality”. Through joint seminars and masterclasses we get to know the meaning of positionality by identifying (birth) positions, which are always the outcome of a modern and historical, colonial context, and by researching and (learning to) understand the inseparable relational aspect of positionality. Positionality determines how you see the world, understand and interact with others and the world around you and is thus determined by your values, world view, and your context in time and space.
Experiences of participants FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency 2020
Carina Molier: “The FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency gives makers the space to develop new forms and content in the lee. The inspiring seminars on important contemporary themes, which are offered in addition to the individual research trajectories, give this development extra direction and input “.
Angelo Ormskerk: “It has become clear to me, among other things, how I can make a unique documentary around the process of my research question within art policy. And how I, as a maker, can influence changes in that policy with my artistry “
Lucienne Venner: “The film landscape has its systems and structures that can be broken through. There is no one way to make film or art. As a maker you need freedom. FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency offers makers this opportunity by setting up a laboratory in which everyone conducts their own research “.
- This Residency forms the basis for a future recurring trajectory. You will therefore be a researcher and co-designer of the FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency at the same time.
- The FilmForward Vrijplaats Residency is intended for working professionals with a background and experience in film and media.
- Participants receive a one-time stipend of € 3000 to cover part of the living expenses.
- There is room for a total of eight participants. In consultation you can also register as a team.
- The selection emphasizes a diversity of experiences and backgrounds
- Time commitment: one day a week, two three-day seminars and time for your own research.
- The participants work towards a final joint presentation in December.
- Depending on the Covid-19 measures, the program will take place online or on location in Amsterdam.
- Language of instruction Dutch and English, depending on the participants.
- Dates (with reservation):
-22 & 23 September: Kick-off
-24 September – 1 October: Netherlands Film Festival (optional)
-29 September: joint program
-6, 7, 8 October: Seminar week
-13, 20, October 27, November 3: joint program
-10, 11, 12 November: Seminar week
-17 – 26 November: International Documentary Filmfestival Amsterdam (optional)
-24 November, 1, December 8: joint program
-15 December: Presentation